Monday, (8/25 at 9pm ET) is our monthly telegathering and this month we’ll be joined by Andre Dubus, author of “The House of Sand and Fog,” and his new book, “The Garden of Last Days.” Andre is a powerful fiction writer and a great teacher, so don’t miss the call! To send a question for Andre, send an email to: [email protected] And, to join us on the call, dial (646) 519-5883 and use pincode 2346# promptly at 9pm ET.
Please join me for a wonderful weekend retreat at Kripalu in the beautiful Berkshires of Massachusetts. During the weekend we’ll immerse oursevles in the experience of extreme self care as I offer a sneak preview of my next book. We’ll talk about things like: putting an end to deprivation, learning to let go of control, the importance of protecting your sensitivity, and the transformative power of creating an “Absolute No List.” For more info visit here.
Finally, our “Summer Self-Care Special” ends this week and it’s your last chance to get 10% off of your entire purchase (before S&H). Whether you love the Mesmerizing Oggz Eggs, the new Kai Body Buffer, or need a gift for someone you love, just enter the following coupon code on the checkout page: 388706. You’ll find the store here.
Have a great week…
p.s. – Need a little Divine Direction? Use the “Touch of Grace” button on our homepage here: http://www.cherylrichardson.com.
“If I were to trade away all the things I have for all the things I want I would be bankrupt. All I need has already been given. All I want I can’t get without all I have already.”
–Neil G. White
Topic of the Week – Facing Reality
This week, while on my way to the post office, I did something I occasionally do that might seem a bit morbid to you. But stay with me. It’s an exercise that helps me reconnect with reality and what matters most.
During the day, when I’m feeling overwhelmed or irritable about something, I often take a walk or go for a ride in the car to clear my head. I think of this activity as a way to “reboot” my mood or clear the stored up memory in my too-full mind. While on this mini-excursion, I ask myself the following:
If this were my last hour on earth, would I:
- Be happy with how I’ve spent my time today, this week, or this year?
- Feel good about the priorities I’m focused on at this point in my life?
- Feel complete and at peace with the people who matter most?
It’s a simple way for me to get in touch with what’s real. This exercise, something I’ve done for a few years now, becomes a way to stand outside of my life, if only for a few moments, and get a fresh perspective. The three questions always reconnect me with what matters most to my heart instead of just my head. And it often motivates me to take some kind of action.
Sometimes I shift how I think about a problem. For example, one day, when I was stressed about a challenge with our building project, I decided to shift my worry to gratitude and just be thankful for the ability to build a new home. Later that afternoon, the problem resolved itself. I also remember a day when this exercise inspired me to make a 180-degree turn and stop a major project related to my business simply because it wasn’t making me happy.
By taking a break from the non-stop action of life to consider what’s real, you give yourself a chance to readjust your priorities. When you do this exercise, for instance, it might motivate you to call someone you’ve been in conflict with and get the issue resolved once and for all. Or, you might finally decide to stop pushing yourself to do something your heart just doesn’t want to do.
Try it this week. Let what’s real — and the fact that life is so precious — inspire you to live more authentically. Give yourself a reality check and watch what happens!
~*~ Take Action Challenge ~*~
This week, take a break during the day to do the exercise above. Take a walk, sit outside for a while, or go for a ride so you have some space to think about your life.
Once you consider the three questions above, also think about what you need to do differently to realign your actions with your head *and* your heart. For example, you might ask yourself:
- What change do I need to make to feel happier and more alive?
- What issue do I need to address that I keep avoiding?
- What do I need to let go of — completely?
- Who do I need to reconnect with?
Honor your life by living it with integrity and thoughtful purpose. In the end, you’ll be so glad you did.
In the News
- Have a question for Cheryl? Call in during her live Internet radio show, Coach on Call, on Mondays at 5pm ET (2pm PT, 10pm GMT) at www.hayhouseradio.com. Simply dial (866) 254-1579 if you live in the US, or for international callers dial, 1-760-918-4300 after your country code. Cheryl discusses a variety of topics related to practicing Extreme Self Care and living a high quality life.
- We have a variety of unique life-changing gifts in our webstore at www.myextremeselfcare.com. You can have books personally signed for you or a loved one with a note of encouragement or support, include a hand-written gift card with your order, or find a special item to support your own self-care. There are heart ornaments, books, audio programs, lotions, and our popular Mesmerizing Oggz Egg (you need to see it to understand :). Check them out here: www.myextremeselfcare.com.
Life Makeover For The Year 2008 (sm) is written and produced by Cheryl Richardson. If you have any questions or comments, please send them to: [email protected]. © Copyright 1999-2008
Cheryl Richardson, P.O. Box 13, Newburyport, MA 01950. All rights reserved.