Week 14 – 20 ridiculously simple ways to live longer (and better)
Last week, one of my readers asked me to share my best self-care secret. Because life isn’t static and circumstances change, it’s impossible to pick one.
So I told her I’d share twenty in this week’s blog.
After spending so much time in hospitals over the last couple of years before my dad died, I’m motivated to make my health a top priority.
Hospitals can do that to people.
Here’s my list. These are the things I try to do almost every day. When I don’t, I never beat myself up, though. That would be bad self-care .
They’re ridiculously simple and they work:
- Upon waking, stretch your body in some fun way for five minutes.
- Drink half your body weight in water (in ounces).
- Refuse to rush. When making commitments or appointments, put space in your calendar in between.
- Look for one thing in nature that astonishes you.
- Learn where you can make good enough, good enough and let that be your new standard.
- Smile. A lot.
- Start the week by looking at your calendar to see if any engagement makes you groan. If you find something, change it.
- Stop hanging out with people who care more about hearing their own voice than mutual conversation.
- Make saving money a game you play regularly.
- Rescue an animal (of course I’d include this one ).
- Let moving your body every day become a non-negotiable habit.
- Remove one thing you no longer love or need from your house every single day for three months.
- Eat green vegetables at each meal.
- Go to bed close to the same time every night.
- Always keep a flower by your side.
- Do something helpful and loving for at least one person a day.
- Listen to a favorite piece of music.
- Make meditation – even five minutes – your new best friend.
- Get in the habit of putting your hand over your heart and saying, “I love you, sweetheart” in the most tender-loving way.
- Laugh often. (Watch Grace and Frankie on Netflix )
Your turn. I’d love to hear one self-care habit you do every day. I may make another list for a future blog.
Video of the Week
Here’s your laugh for the day. You can watch it, here. Thanks, Kathy!